second coming
163 stories
·
0 followers

Team GB's Bianca Williams Plans Legal Action Against Met Police After Being 'Racially Profiled'

1 Comment

A Team GB sprinter is considering legal action against the Metropolitan Police after accusing officers of racially profiling her and her partner in a stop and search.

Commonwealth Games gold medallist Bianca Williams and her partner, Ricardo dos Santos, a Portuguese 400m sprinter, were stopped in west London on Saturday.

Williams, whose three-month-old son was in the car during the incident, called it an “awful experience” and believes the couple were targeted because they are Black and drive a Mercedes.

“They (the officers) said there’s a lot of youth violence and stabbings in the area and that the car looked very suspicious,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“They see a Black male driving a nice car, an all-black car, and they assume that he was involved in some sort of gang, drug, violence problem.”

Scotland Yard said a 25-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman were searched when a car was stopped in Lanhill Road, Maida Vale, on Saturday afternoon.

Both were searched, along with the vehicle, but nothing was found. Police said officers were patrolling the area in response to an increase in violence involving weapons.

The force said the vehicle was stopped after it was seen driving suspiciously, including on the wrong side of the road, and that the driver had sped off when asked to stop.

But this account was rejected by Williams, who said the car was “never” on the wrong side of the road.

“That is false, we were never on the wrong side of the road. We were driving down through single-width roads,” she told the programme.

“We only found out about us driving on the wrong side of the road once they tweeted on Saturday afternoon.

“This isn’t the first or fourth or fifth time – it must be about the 10th [time her partner has been stopped by police], it’s getting ridiculous.”

She said race was “100%” the reason he gets stopped, adding: “It’s just horrible, it’s an outrageous assumption for them to make.

“We are planning on taking it down the legal route. I feel very hurt by their actions, and to witness my partner being taken away and for me to be taken away from my son, my heart hurts.

“It’s an awful experience.”

Williams also told Sky News that Met commissioner Cressida Dick “does need to think about her position to be honest”.

Footage of the incident was shared widely on Twitter after being posted by former Olympic medallist Linford Christie, who questioned why the vehicle had been stopped.

The clip appeared to show two people – a man and a woman – being pulled out of a car in a London street.

The woman says: “He didn’t do anything” and officers can later be heard telling the woman to calm down after she worries about her son remaining in the car.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said he felt “uncomfortable” about the way the officers acted and said he could see no justification for the use of handcuffs during the incident.

“I’ve looked at the video footage, the video footage only deals with what happens when the officers are at the car so I can’t say what happened before,” he told LBC radio.

“When they got to the car I didn’t really think they handled it very well at all because it was clear there was a very young child in the back and the use of handcuffs is always controversial and I couldn’t see what the justification for that was.

“I don’t know what led to the stop in the first place but what I do know is that if I was a senior officer looking at that video footage I would feel uncomfortable about the way that it was dealt with.”

Scotland Yard said officers from the Directorate of Professional Standards have reviewed footage from social media and officers’ bodycams and were satisfied there was no concern around the officers’ conduct.

Commander Helen Harper said: “I understand the concern when incidents like this happen and how they can appear when part of it is filmed without context.

“Due to the concern raised, we conducted a review of the stop. This included social media footage and body-worn camera footage of the officers at the scene.

“We are satisfied that there are no misconduct issues.”

London mayor Sadiq Khan says he has raised the incident with the Met and revealed he has commissioned an action plan for improving transparency and accountability.

He tweeted on Monday: “I take any allegation of racial profiling extremely seriously and have raised Bianca Williams’ case with the Met Police.

“It is absolutely vital that our police service retains the trust and confidence of the communities it serves so that every Londoner, regardless of background or postcode can feel safe, protected and served.

“I am committed to closely scrutinising any disproportionality and that’s why I have asked the Deputy Mayor for Policing and Crime and Deputy Mayor for Communities to work with police & communities to draw up an action plan for improving transparency & accountability.

“Stop and search must be intelligence-led, carried out fairly and with respect, and all officers now have body-worn video cameras to help hold them to account.”

Read the whole story
Share this story
Delete
1 public comment
lywyn
29 days ago
reply
She should, it was shocking to watch.
very large rock orbiting a sun

Government Stops Publishing Daily Number Of People Tested For Coronavirus

1 Comment

Coronavirus has changed everything. Make sense of it all with the Waugh Zone, our evening politics briefing. Sign up now.

Downing Street has said the government will no longer publish daily figures on the number of people tested for coronavirus.

Boris Johnson’s official spokesman said only the total number of tests processed will be published on a daily basis.

This is because only people who are receiving a test for the first time are counted towards the statistic, meaning many hospital and care home staff who are being tested on a regular basis will not be counted.

He told reporters: “DHSC (the department for health and social care) will no longer publish the number of people tested daily anymore and will instead publish the number of daily tests processed.

“This is because the daily people tested statistic only counts new people being tested.

“For example, someone who is tested in February and then tested again this month would only be counted once.

“Considering hospital and care home staff are now being tested on a regular basis we don’t think this statistic would be an accurate reflection of the  amount of daily testing that is taking place.

“Test and trace statistics published weekly do still include the number of people who have been tested.”

The latest testing figures show that 164,849 tests were provided on July 5.

Of these 40,466 were by NHS, Public Health England and devolved administration labs, 109,998 were tests by commercial partners, and there were 10,282 antibody tests, 4,103 surveillance testing

Of the commercial tests, 57,434 were sent by post.

Total testing capacity currently stands at 294,258.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated. Follow HuffPost UK on Twitter here, and on Facebook here.







Download video: https://delivery.vidible.tv/video/redirect/5eda43fc7a627b377629e233.mp4?bcid=58fc8dae222f89716decad17&w=1920&h=1080&enc=mp4&domain=cdn.vidible.tv
Read the whole story
Share this story
Delete
1 public comment
lywyn
29 days ago
reply
Just like Trump, cannot open if we know the curve is not flattened
very large rock orbiting a sun

Everything we know—and don’t—about Tom Cruise’s plans to film a movie in space

1 Comment
Tom Cruise, at center, poses with NASA astronauts at the 2002 premiere of the IMAX film <em>Space Station 3D</em> at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. From left to right: Robert Curbeam, Marsha Ivins, Koichi Wakata, Scott Altman, Nancy Currie-Gregg, Bill Shepherd, Susan Helms, IMAX producer Toni Myers, James Voss, Yuri Usachov, Yuri Lonchakov, Jim Newman and Brian Duffy.

Enlarge / Tom Cruise, at center, poses with NASA astronauts at the 2002 premiere of the IMAX film Space Station 3D at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. From left to right: Robert Curbeam, Marsha Ivins, Koichi Wakata, Scott Altman, Nancy Currie-Gregg, Bill Shepherd, Susan Helms, IMAX producer Toni Myers, James Voss, Yuri Usachov, Yuri Lonchakov, Jim Newman and Brian Duffy. (credit: collectSPACE.com)

For some in the space community, it sounded like the rehash of an old rumor: “Tom Cruise Plots Movie To Shoot In Space…” read the headline of a Deadline Hollywood article published last month.

The “exclusive"—all three paragraphs of it—was short on details, but the mention of Cruise and space was all that was needed for other publications to want to run with the story and for social media to light up with the news.

But this was not the first time that had happened.

Read 56 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Read the whole story
Share this story
Delete
1 public comment
lywyn
47 days ago
reply
Free trip to space thanks to idiots watching his crap movie
very large rock orbiting a sun

Researchers say online voting tech used in 5 states is fatally flawed

1 Comment and 2 Shares
Voting machines are shown at a polling location on June 9, 2020 in West Columbia, South Carolina.

Enlarge / Voting machines are shown at a polling location on June 9, 2020 in West Columbia, South Carolina. (credit: Sean Rayford/Getty Images)

OmniBallot is election software that is used by dozens of jurisdictions in the United States. In addition to delivering ballots and helping voters mark them, it includes an option for online voting. At least three states—West Virginia, Delaware, and New Jersey—have used the technology or are planning to do so in an upcoming election. Four local jurisdictions in Oregon and Washington state use the online voting feature as well. But new research from a pair of computer scientists, MIT's Michael Specter and the University of Michigan's Alex Halderman, finds that the software has inadequate security protections, creating a serious risk to election integrity.

Democracy Live, the company behind OmniBallot, defended its software in an email response to Ars Technica. "The report did not find any technical vulnerabilities in OmniBallot," wrote Democracy Live CEO Bryan Finney.

This is true in a sense—the researchers didn't find any major bugs in the OmniBallot code. But it also misses the point of their analysis. The security of software not only depends on the software itself but also on the security of the environment on which the system runs. For example, it's impossible to keep voting software secure if it runs on a computer infected with malware. And millions of PCs in the United States are infected with malware.

Read 35 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Read the whole story
Share this story
Delete
1 public comment
lywyn
54 days ago
reply
Shush if Trump sees this he will pass a law to make the mandatory!
very large rock orbiting a sun

Quibi Cofounder Jeffrey Katzenberg Blames Pandemic for Streaming Service's Rough Start

1 Comment
Quibi, the streaming app veteran executive Jeffrey Katzenberg started with Meg Whitman a little more than a month ago -- and for which it raised $1.8 billion -- is off to a rough start. From a report: Downloads have been anemic, despite a lineup that includes producers and stars like Jennifer Lopez, LeBron James, Idris Elba, Steven Spielberg and Chrissy Teigen. The service, which offers entertainment and news programs in five- to 10-minute chunks, was designed to be watched on the go by people who are too busy to sit down and stream TV shows or movies. It came out when millions of people were not going anywhere because of stay-at-home orders across the country. "I attribute everything that has gone wrong to coronavirus," Mr. Katzenberg said in a video interview. "Everything. But we own it." Quibi fell out of the list of the 50 most downloaded free iPhone apps in the United States a week after it went live on April 6. It is now ranked No. 125, behind the game app Knock'em All and the language-learning app Duolingo, according to the analytics firm Sensor Tower. Even with a free 90-day trial, the app has been installed by only 2.9 million customers, according to Sensor Tower. Quibi says the figure is more like 3.5 million. Of those who have installed the app, the company says 1.3 million are active users. Mr. Katzenberg expressed disappointment with those numbers. "Is it the avalanche of people that we wanted and were going for out of launch?" he said. "The answer is no. It's not up to what we wanted. It's not close to what we wanted." So nobody wants to use a short-form video app right now, except an increasingly growing number of people who are hooked to TikTok. Nobody wants to spend money on a service, but Quibi is free for first three months. Yeah, it's the coronavirus.

Read more of this story at Slashdot.

Read the whole story
Share this story
Delete
1 public comment
lywyn
83 days ago
reply
Or other streaming services work on phones and TVs
very large rock orbiting a sun

Duffy: Singer was ‘drugged for four weeks, raped and taken abroad’

1 Comment
The singer says she was drugged and held for four weeks, and feared for her life.
Read the whole story
Share this story
Delete
1 public comment
lywyn
120 days ago
reply
Doesn't want to name her attacker. Doesn't want to protect other women and warn the world of such a horrible person?
very large rock orbiting a sun
Next Page of Stories